These chicken breasts are bursting with flavor, thanks to a layer of creamy, tangy goat cheese in the middle. Combined with spinach, artichoke and garlic, the filling is so delicious you’ll have to stop yourself from eating it straight out of the bowl. I like to serve this dish alongside broccoli and brown rice for a tasty, balanced meal.
If I had to live on one food for the rest of my life, it would probably be cheese. Not American, not cheddar, not colby-jack. Give me all the brie, gouda and goat cheese you can get your hands on. Lots of protein, right?
When I get together with some of my best friends, we always come armed with wine and cheese. It’s over a large plate of cheese that we’ve shared some of our darkest secrets, cried over broken hearts and laughed until we can’t breathe. Cheese: it brings people together. (I feel like that should be incorporated into a campaign slogan?)
Unfortunately, I’m told foods like cheese are enjoyed best in moderation. So to avoid being tempted to down an entire cheese board for dinner, I try to incorporate small amounts of my favorite varieties into healthy meals. Goat cheese is at the top of my list. It takes almost any dish up to a whole other level. I throw a little bit on top of eggs, salads and sandwiches. And I love combining it with some veggies and stuffing it in the middle of turkey burgers and chicken breasts. The flavor is so distinct that a little bit goes a long way, leaving you feeling satisfied, but not weighed down.
These chicken breasts are a great dish to make when you’re entertaining because you can assemble them the night before and throw them right into the oven the next day. And people always seem to be impressed by any food that is stuffed, right? It just sounds fancy.
But, if you decide to eat just the goat cheese filling straight out of the bowl instead of hosting a dinner party, I won’t judge you. I’ll join you.
Spinach Artichoke Goat Cheese Stuffed Chicken
- 4 large chicken breasts
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 Tbsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 4 oz. goat cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh spinach, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup artichoke hearts, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Carefully cut a slit lengthwise through the middle of the chicken breast, making sure not to cut all the way through. Set chicken breasts aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, oregano, thyme, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Use a small brush to cover the outside of the chicken breasts with the lemon mixture. Set chicken breasts aside.
- In a medium bowl, use an electric mixer to beat together goat cheese, spinach, artichoke and garlic until combined.
- Carefully spoon 1/4 of the goat cheese mixture into the slit in the middle of one of the chicken breasts. Repeat with remaining three chicken breasts.
- Place chicken breasts on a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet and bake for 35 minutes, or until cooked through.