What is it about a bad day that makes you want to call for take-out and curl up on the couch? Maybe I’ve watched too many episodes of Sex & the City? (I’m totally a Carrie.)
I’m definitely an emotional eater. For me, food is comfort and I’m always tempted to reach for unhealthy options in those situations — GIVE ME ALL THE DARK CHOCOLATE. But, in order to have a healthy relationship with food that’s a habit that has to stop. So I’m making an effort to reach for healthier versions of my favorite comfort foods when I feel the urge.
These Chinese Chicken Lettuce Wraps are the perfect guilt-free solution for those rough days. They have all the familiar flavors of your favorite Chinese dish without the grease and calories.
Next time you’re having a bad day, call up your BFF and whip these up! And, definitely split a bottle of wine. Balance, right?
Chinese Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 1.5 lbs. boneless chicken breast, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 3 Tbsp. Hoisin sauce
- 1 Tbsp. dark sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1.5 tsp. chili garlic sauce
- 1 tsp. grated, peeled fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp. grated orange rind
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp. Mirin (you can find this in the Asian food section of your grocery store near rice vinegar and soy sauce)
- 8 large lettuce leaves
- Sesame seeds (optional)
- Combine hoisin sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce, chili garlic sauce, ginger, orange rind, garlic and Mirin in medium bowl. Whisk until combined.
- Add chicken to sauce and toss to coat.
- Coat a large pan with cooking spray. Add chicken to pan and sauté over medium-high heat until cooked through, about ten minutes.
- Spoon chicken into lettuce leaves, sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.