This grown-up twist on a beloved childhood classic is my new go-to treat. The sweet white chocolate balances out the tangy lemon and makes for an indulgent — but simple — dessert.
When it comes to sweets, I have a serious weakness: all things lemon. It’s a weakness James shares. My mom makes these amazing lemon cookies every Christmas and they last about 24 hours in our house. Seriously, we can’t control ourselves around those things.
We were spoiled when visiting the Amalfi Coast for our honeymoon because the lemons were nearly as big as our heads and showed up in croissants, cookies, cakes and gelato. We even found lemon pasta, which remains the best thing I’ve ever tasted. It was our honeymoon, so we used that as an excuse to indulge in every lemon-flavored treat we could find.
Knowing we can’t resist the temptation of lemon baked goods, I try to avoid making them. Willpower is a tricky thing. But, when I saw this recipe for lemon white chocolate rice krispie treats pop up from Cooking Light, I knew I had to try it. Rice krispie treats are so dang easy and I love the idea of classing them up a bit with additional ingredients.
I cannot believe how deliciously addicting this recipe is. I threw together a batch to take to my in-law’s for Easter Sunday and they were a hit. There’s a lot to be said for low-maintenance, classic desserts like rice krispie treats — they’re hard to beat! This grown-up twist on the childhood classic is my new go-to dessert for impromptu get togethers — and the occasional midnight snack.
Lemon White Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
from Cooking Light
- 10 oz. marshmallows
- 1/4 cup butter
- 6 1/2 cups rice krispies cereal
- 1 Tbsp. lemon zest
- 4 oz. high-quality white chocolate
- Combine marshmallows and butter in a large pot over low heat and stir until melted, about five minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add lemon zest and cereal to pot, stirring until evenly coated.
- Press rice krispie mixture into a 13 x 9 pan coated with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Microwave white chocolate in 15-second increments, stirring each time until melted and smooth. Drizzle white chocolate over rice krispie treats and refrigerate for 15 minutes, or until chocolate is set.