This fall sangria features Oliver Winery’s Apple Pie wine, combined with brandy and vodka to soften out the sweetness. It’s the perfect seasonal drink for holiday get togethers or weekend tailgates.
Hey, strangers! I’m sorry I’ve disappeared on you this week. Life got a little crazy over the weekend and it doesn’t appear to be slowing down anytime soon. That’s why we have wine, right?
I’m so happy it’s finally starting to feel like fall in Indiana. The air has been crisp the past few days and the leaves are slowly starting to change to hues of gold and red. Indiana summers are beautiful, but there’s something magical about fall in the Hoosier state. The minute the season starts to change I’m ready to break out my boots, head to Brown County State Park for a hike and indulge in all of fall’s best foods (hello, pumpkin everything). I’m trying to squeeze as many of those activities into just a couple of weeks this year because I’ll be out of the country for most of October — more on that later this week.
One of my favorite places to visit in the fall is Oliver Winery. The grounds are breathtaking and fall is the perfect time to pack up a blanket, a picnic basket and enjoy fall’s beautiful weather with a bottle of local wine. This year Oliver released a new wine that’s perfect for this season: Apple Pie wine. Here’s what the winery has to say about this special bottle:
Oliver Apple Pie features tart, crisp apple, soft vanilla, and comforting notes of cinnamon, brown sugar and nutmeg. Aroma is of warmth and gentle, sweet spice — bottling the kitchen on Thanksgiving morning.
The wine is certainly on the sweeter side, but it absolutely tastes like fall. I decided to balance out the sweetness a bit by adding a few ingredients of my own to make a delicious fall sangria. I have a feeling I’ll be making at least one batch of this a week all the way through Thanksgiving. Cheers to Mother Nature’s most beautiful season!
Apple Pie Sangria
- 1 bottle Oliver Apple Pie wine
- 2 oz. Brandy
- 2 oz. high-quality vodka (I like Red Arrow Vodka or Cardinal Spirits Vodka)
- 1 apple, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
- Combine wine, brandy, vodka and apple in a large pitcher and stir until combined. Chill until ready to serve.
- Stir together cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl. Lightly wet the rims of four wine glasses and dip each into the cinnamon-sugar mixture to coat the rims.
- Carefully pour sangria into wine glasses, making sure to get pieces of apple in each glass.