This chili lime chicken cooks in just 30 minutes and makes the best chicken tacos. The leftovers shine in salads, soups and sandwiches, making this a great meal to throw together on a Sunday and enjoy throughout the week.
We’ve survived what seemed like a never-ending campaign season and we finally know who will be our next president. I’m not going to talk much about the election here because that’s what I do all day at work. But, I will say I am so happy to see how many people cast a ballot this year. Indiana broke its record for early voting and thousands more cast a ballot yesterday. Whether you’re happy with the results, that’s what it’s all about.
I survived on nothing but carbs yesterday, so I’m looking forward to getting back into my kitchen and cooking a healthy dinner tonight. Of all the meals I make, James requests tacos the most. That’s fine by me because they’re delicious and so easy to throw together, even on the most hectic of nights. But, I do find myself wanting to switch up my recipes since we have them so often. I typically cook up some ground turkey or throw together some pork carnitas, but I wanted something different this time around.
These chili lime chicken tacos were a big hit in our household. We didn’t have much in our fridge when it came to toppings, but it didn’t matter. The flavor of the chicken is so out-of-this-world that you can keep the toppings simple.
Next time I make these I plan on doubling the recipe so we have plenty of leftovers. The shredded chicken is so tasty in soups and salads and I was sad when the leftovers only lasted one day. I want to make a big batch of tortilla soup using this chicken next time!
Chili Lime Chicken Tacos
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 lime, sliced
- 1 Tbsp. smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cayenne
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup habanero jack or pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 1/4 light sour cream or non-fat Greek yogurt [/ingredients]
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Combine paprika, cumin, chili powder, cayenne, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Mix together, then rub spices all over the chicken breasts.
- Place chicken breasts on baking sheet and squeeze one or two slices of lime over each breast. Place lime slices on top of chicken breasts and bake in the oven for 30 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken from oven and let sit for five minutes. Once the chicken is done resting, use two forks to shred the meat.
- Heat tortillas by placing them over the burner on a gas stove on low for about one minute on each side, until the tortillas are slightly charred. If you don’t have a gas burner, heat the tortillas in the microwave for ten seconds to soften.
- Place a small amount of chicken in each tortilla and top with cheese and sour cream.