These cookies require only three ingredients and are the perfect combination of salty and sweet. They come together in just 20 minutes, making pretzel cookies a great holiday treat to make with kids!
We are gearing up for our annual Christmas cookie and craft beer exchange this weekend, so I’m baking nonstop all week in preparation. Every year I make a combination of new and old recipes for the party and I plan to share a few of them over the next couple of weeks. There’s something so cozy about baking during cold nights with holiday movies and music playing in the background. It’s my favorite part of the season!
I started making pretzel cookies for the holidays when I was just a kid. That’s what’s so great about this recipe — it’s ridiculously easy. Aside from a little help getting the cookies in and out of the oven, this is a project kids can tackle on their own. My niece and nephew get so excited when my mom asks them to help her make pretzel cookies. There’s something about quickly topping the cookies with M&Ms that makes it feel almost like a game. Plus, there are always extra M&Ms for the helpers to enjoy!
This recipe yields one, big batch of pretzel cookies, but leaves you with partial bags of M&Ms and pretzels. I usually double or triple the recipe until I run out of pretzels or M&Ms. I make all of the cookies at once and keep them in the freezer, taking them out as needed during the holiday season — or any time of year. These are also great for bridal showers and birthday parties. Just customize the cookies by choosing different M&M colors!
These cookies aren’t just easy to make, they’re always a hit with guests. There’s something about the size and salty-sweet taste that makes people eat them my the handful! Whether you’re hosting a party or attending one, these are the perfect, festive treats to share with friends.
What’s your favorite holiday cookie recipe? Tell me in the comments!
- 1 12 oz. bag Hershey’s hugs, unwrapped
- 70 to 75 waffled or ring pretzels
- 70 to 75 M&Ms
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread pretzels in a single layer on cookie sheet. Place on hug on top of each pretzel. Bake for two to three minutes, until hugs are shiny and soft.
- Remove cookies from oven and carefully, but quickly, place an M&M in the middle of each hug, pressing down slightly to flatten the top of the chocolate.
- Place cookies in freezer for ten minutes, until set. Transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator or freezer.