These soft, banana cookies are among my most-requested recipes. They’re perfectly moist and topped with melt-in-your-mouth banana frosting. This is the perfect way to use up any overripe bananas you have sitting around your kitchen.
These cookies helped me win my husband over. He doesn’t request baked goods often but, when he does, he always asks for banana cookies. My mom brought them over while visiting when we were still living in South Bend and he’s been hooked ever since. I’m totally OK with it — because they’re my favorite cookie, too.
This recipe is foolproof. I’ve made it dozens of times and the cookies always turn out perfectly. They’re super soft, super easy, and super addicting. I think the banana that you include in the frosting is what makes these cookies a winner. I’ve used the same glaze on banana bread and chocolate cakes and it just makes everything taste amazing. It’s also delicious eaten by the spoonful — not that I’m speaking from experience …
Any time I take these into the office or to a party, people immediately ask for the recipe. These cookies are a crowd pleaser and I think it’s because they’re so different than old standbys like chocolate chip and sugar cookies. They’re delightfully different.
These cookies freeze beautifully, which means we often have some stashed away for emergencies (AKA Mondays). It’s a trick I learned from my mom, who always keeps a batch in her freezer to have handy when she’s hosting company or heading to a party.
But, be warned. Even if you freeze a batch of these cookies, they’ll quickly go missing.
The Best Banana Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/2 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 medium bananas, mashed (the browner, the better)
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/4 cup mashed banana
- 2 Tbsp. butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and ground cloves until combined. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, use a mixer on medium speed to beat butter for 30 seconds. Add sugar and continue beating until fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla, beating until combined.
- Alternate adding half of the dry ingredients and half of the mashed banana to the butter mixture. Beat until combined.
- Drop teaspoons of batter onto greased cookie sheets, making sure to space cookies about two inches apart.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until golden brown.
- While cookies cool, use a mixer to combine powdered sugar, banana, butter and vanilla. Beat until smooth.
- Once cookies are completely cooled, spread a thin layer of frosting over each one.