Lemon zest gives this creamy potato salad an unexpected tang. This side dish pairs perfectly with grilled burgers, sausage or steak!
We’ve been grilling out almost every night this summer and I don’t think we’ll ever grow tired of it. Throwing some meat and veggies on the grill makes for an effortless, delicious dinner. And, the cleanup is so easy. I tend to switch up the type of meat we grill based on whatever is on sale at our local co-op and butcher each week. But, there has been one constant among our outdoor summer meals: roasted lemon potato salad.
I first made a version of this potato salad for a monthly Bloomington Cookbook Club meeting. A group of local food-loving ladies picks a different cookbook to dive into each month, which culminates with a potluck-style meal featuring recipes from the book. I made the potato salad from Asha Gomez’s My Two Souths for our inaugural meeting and loved the intense flavor fresh lemon zest gave the dish. Others raved about it, as well.
Since then, I’ve tweaked the recipe a bit to make it my own. I think what makes this potato salad so good is the unexpected flavors. I grew up in the Midwest, where many potato salad recipes involve lots of bacon and cheese. I love the tang lemon zest and Greek yogurt lend this version, which makes it taste lighter than most.
I tend to avoid using the oven on hot summer days, but I make an exception for this recipe. It’s just that good!
Roasted Lemon Potato Salad
- 1.5 lbs. fingerling potatoes, washed and halved
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup low-fat Greek yogurt
- Zest from two large lemons
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place potatoes, shallot and garlic on a large cookie sheet. Drizzle olive oil over top, then use your hands to toss potatoes, shallot and garlic until completely coated in oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 30 minutes or until potatoes are golden brown, flipping potatoes once halfway through cooking.
- Allow potato mixture to cool for 15 minutes. While it cools, combine mayonnaise, Greek yogurt and lemon zest in a large bowl. Use a rubber spatula to stir until combined. Carefully pour potato mixture into bowl and gently stir until potatoes are evenly coated in dressing. Serve at room temperature or refrigerate for at least two hours and serve cold.
If you’re a lemon lover, you might enjoy these other recipes:
Lemon White Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats